Sep 28, 2006

This is an endurance test -- I'm in.

This is not something special and new. Indeed, this is something really normal as I've practised it 4 years straight. In another word, when thing is as normal as daily teeth-brushing task, it shouldn't be mentioned in a blog like this.. but the question is, why am I starting to compose an entry about it?

1st of course 4 years back I din have a blog to talk about this normal 'abnormal' thing (?); 2nd, I've encountered too many 'why' asking about my choice and my decision and my determination and earnestness.. (yeah, I've been interviewed by a Wawa TV Station, Majalah Minda, Princess Channel and 'Jambu!' teen magazine.... and same 1st question from them: WHY?).. ..

Why? Why do I poso skali?

I oftenly smiled this question off when friends of mine seeing me fast seriously in muslim's Bulan Ramdhan. Yes I do have an untold reason, but I prefer to let it unexplained. On the other hand, I seriously wanted to capture Malaysian's mentality about a non-muslim joining a so called Islamic way of life. ..

My question is, why do most of the people tend to see things from religious and racial perspective, while lots of things in our life can be as simple as a personal choice due to some straightforward reasons regarding health, social and etc? .. orait I have to admit that there was a reason for me to start fasting in Ramadhan, but there are more reasons for me to keep this habit going on till this year, especially after realizing that self-discipline is a very valuable quality that I should brush-up on.

Doing push-up 150 times per day needs self-discipline, I'm cutting it down to 100 times every 3-4 days..; jogging weekly needs self-discipline, and so far, erm.., so good..; struggling in working environment needs self-discipline, struggling in this Master programme needs extreme level of self-discipline, ...

...achieving my dreams of owning Chevrolet OPTRA5 and Canon EOS DSLR, achieiving my family's hope on me, making my family proud of me, following all the words in Rudyard Kipling's poem "If", getting true success in life, getting dreams-come-true of traveling all around the world...

...all of these, bear the same drive for fasting throughout one whole month, need self-discipline.

So I think this is my answer to all the 'WHY's .. : WHY NOT?

Month of Ramadhan bears a lot of wonderful meanings. I am certainly not in the position to tell it, but personally I see one valuable meaning of Ramadhan: it is a month of endurance test, and I'm in.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

im so proud of this friend of mine... :)

Anonymous said...

good for you! happy fasting my friend..

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

selamat menymbut bulan Ramadhan.. cepatnyer korang singgah sini.. hehehe

Sayuti said...

patutla kau tak berisi...

har har har.

-f-l-o- said...

Here's the thing. (I might be sued/discriminized for saying this but considering myself as a person who believes in free speech and open mind in every individuals, I'd just go ahead.) Our Muslim friends might (again, might) have a wrong idea of the reason why you are doing it. I did it before, and they thought that I was thinking of converting because fasting is a religious thing to do during Ramadhan. And to state my reason clear, I did it out of curiosity and that's all. I think fasting is indeed an endurance test and full respect goes to every Muslim who goes through it during fasting month. But my other reason is, Spidey, I did it because I respect the Muslim friends around me. I did not want to drink and eat in front of them during Ramadhan and I was surrounded by Muslims when I had to fast back in matrix year. Really. So maybe, just maybe, if right now, you are surrounded by your Chinese or Sarawakian friends (like me!) during this Ramadhan, we two might end up eating char ho fun at the stall in those lorong during lunch... :)

Jannah said...

Good for you. Whatever your reasons, it's really the matter of ignoring the hunger and getting on with life. macam orang lapar kat serata dunia, up to a point they go whatever la hunger, i'm gonna go on with my life. Bring on the flies!

FYI i'm being sarcastic here. not cruel. Kudos to those who spent their money on excess food while people in where? ouh the cliche Africa is dying of lack of nutrition.

chivv said...

ye...ptutlah ko tak berisi... :D

I'm in it too... maybe for the same reason as you.

Tak blh tahan when ppl say 'buang masa' non Muslim ikut berposa skali.

There's something *kepuasan* yang tak boleh nak diceritakan bila berpuasa...

Dan nikmatnya kalo menghayati..

peace bro

challo betty!

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

To F-L-O, u got points my friend, but not all i agree -- CHECKED, when u said we should pay full respect to our muslim friends who eventually went thru one full month of test; CHECKED, when u said non-muslim should respect muslim and don't eat and drink in front of them; but.. NIL for your 'Char-ho-fun' statement. To be frank, I've 1 sarawakian, 1 indian friend and 1 French lecture to hang-out with, almost daily, and we have morning tea break and after-lunch tea break during lectures, and my portion of cake/karipap/nasi goreng/... are served as usual, but i just gave it up. Heheh, self-discipline, self-discipline beb!!

To Jannah, u guys got points too!! I like the saying bout "ignoring the hunger and getting on with their life" about "orang lapar merata dunia".. guess this is one of the meaning of Ramadhan -- to be thankful, huh?

To Claire, welcome to the club!! U got point too my friend!"Kepuasan" ..hmmmm.. time berbukak ye... I second it!

Erm.. to Sayut, aku tak berisi sebab puase?? NIL point for u, aku mmng tak berisi sblm Ramadhan tahun2 lepas lagi..

Iced Skeleton said...

...first timer, but i've instantly fell in love......with your thoughts =P

looking forward to reading more!
selamat berpose =)

[Quote] lots of things in our life can be as simple as a personal choice due to some straightforward reasons [unquote]
this, reminds me of Orked's "unless you like what you like lah?" (in sepet)
=)

chivv said...

spidey...

bukan setakat time berbuka tau...

keseluruhannya... ^_^

nway, check out my DA... ada gmbr baru. n i just got myself a dslr yg aku idamkn...

Anonymous said...

....... nobody will blame u for taking some personal decision... fasting? no harm to the world no harm to your friends no harm to your family, even no harm to urself.., so.. y not?

Happy fasting.

ARWEN_my said...

Alhamdulillah.........

Anonymous said...

Waaaa first time aku tengok kau wearing baju melayu... kacak la... he3

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

To Venus, thanks for your commet, I take it as an compliment.. hehehe.. never knew that somebody would fall in love to my thought.. hehe. Managed to drop by ur blog, know u are a big fans of Sepet and Gubra, guess we can go for Mukhsin next July.. :p

To Chivil, memang betul, berbukak membawa kepuasan, tp keseluruhannyer gak.. , esp when u managed to pass the endurance test. Tabik diri sdr..

To Shunza.., well, never expect u'll drop a msg for this entry.. huhuhu, thanks anyway.

To arwen_my and Kak Nani (tuah), thanks for the comment. Spider dh byk kali pakai baju melayu.. gambar tu time aku jadi emcee utk aya gathering PETTRONAS tahun lepas.

2 minggu lagi settle puase ...

Anonymous said...

yao,u r so great...
wong's family proud of u..
i have learnt many from ur blog, ur thought.. .
self-discipline ... u said..
looking for ur nex blog~

(p/s: ur grammar so good, i wan work hard to improve my grammar too..ur frens around u seem so great as well. This make me feel i should not use the broken english to leave u a comment, if not, make u paiseh..haha)

Anonymous said...

salute u dude! selamat berposa to u...

Anonymous said...

Way to go,dude! And if only every Ali, Aminah, Ah Chong, Ah Moi, Ramasamy and Thila would think and act like what you did, this whole country would be a better place to live and die. Syabas!

Anonymous said...

What a surprise, u join the Malays
berpuasa in bulan Ramadhan. I hav no comment bout that... can I said
that I think u r great! u hav the bravery 2 do it. last months masa dekat bulan Ramadhan, I once hav that thought 2 try puasa, but i think n think 2 much, then I tak jadi buat ape2... after reading yr article, seriously I take u as a good example, mayb next year I'll learn 2 puasa lo... No kidding leh... :)

fariz said...

Spidey... kalu posa kat sini boleh kita gi buka sekali. tp tronoh jauh sgt la beb.

chickyap. we still have around 1 week b4 end of puasa. U can still try it out.

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

Thank you than you thank you thank you for all the comments and compliments and moral supports... never thought that this entry would gain so much attention from y'all...

A-Blur and chickyap, you two really surprised me with your thought about fasting... i'm glad u gals are open-minded in this matter.

Fizi, thanks dude. Tabik balik to y'all who fast every year since young!

Nuaqe.. well i visited your blog but I can't leave msg to you cuz I'm not a registered friendster mmber.. but thank you for willing to drop by and left your support. Thankz.

Bang Fariz, well well well.. never thought that ko pun bace blog aku nih.. heheheh.. thanks.!! nnt lah tahun depan depan kite buka skali..

PEACE!