Sep 19, 2007

As if no options.

Affendi and I missed sahur today.

The Imsak for our time zone here is around 4:51am and It was 5:06am when I jumped out of my warm blanket. A wake-up call to Affendi's cabin did not mean anything but to wake him up for his prayer at dawn.

Blearily sitting at the edge of my bed, I was struggling amongst some options: to sleep on or to wake up, and also, to eat or not to eat.

YES, I knew I've just missed the valid time for sahur, but not the breakfast time on vessel.

The breakfast is served at 5:30am to 6:30am daily, and it's a typical western breakfast, with crispy hash browns and sunny-side-up, my favourite.

All of a sudden I had another options: To fast, or not to fast. I mean I was worrying about my day on board without any meal to kick start with, so I could choose not to fast *JUST* on this particular day ----

---- I guess I was bleary and dopey and sleepy back then, because I almost made a decision that could ruin all my effort.

YES, maybe you're right. Being a non-Muslim, fasting in Ramadhan is always optional for me. BUT what's the point if you've decided putting a 100% effort to something you believe but you still have this reservation that saying "you maybe don't have to insist too much" on the so called belief?

It's just like we've embarked on a journey, and it's definitely not my way to turn back before the journey ends. Definitely not, not even a thought.

I felt painful somewhere in my head when I suddenly realized I was so close to fall into the muddy trap of my cupidity, my senseless desire. I left my bed and took a shower. I was hungry -- my last 'meal' was peach yogurt after gym last night; the fast-breaking meal before gym was probably burned out during work-out -- but I still had an operation to monitor, I needed to see my surveyor and geophysicist to discuss about the winch failure happened last night.

I still needed to work, and THAT was not optional for me, even though with an empty stomach. Life, as well, does not possess too much options most of the time. Sometime we just need to bear with the situation that we're in, even though the situation is harsh and cruel.

I'm grateful enough to be in a situation where I have LOTS of options, but the option I eventually chose, despite the flexibility that we should have all the times, would be 'as if no option'. What would you do if there's no any other options for you? Yes, we just face it with big heart and great determination, and full patience.

To all my friends who fast during Ramadhan, happy embracing the spirit of being patience and staying focus.

Ps.. Yet, there's a little option I got to choose: I swore to put my handset few steps away from my bed next time -- because it proved, again and again, that most of the time the alarm only woke my fingers up, not myself.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somehow we your old friends used to think that you're such a stiff soldier -- yeah, all those self-disciplined thingy.. .. Now I started to wonder, is that the reason you'd never got a girlfriend? Muahahahaha *sarcastic laugh* ... Anyway, we see how u excel as a real man with all your principle of life, but let's pray together for a girl that would understand it..

shunza

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

I think u're probably correct Shunza.. LOL.. no girls love a stiff guy like me.. never get romantic and gentle.. muahaha.. or maybe i just need to go for G.I. Jane.. ,who will probably freak me out pulak.. hehehe..

Thanks for calling me a 'real man'.. although I dun think i deserve the term.. well, at least a real man always has a girl, I dun.

spider

-f-l-o- said...

That's one nasty comment by Shunza. *hehe*

Anyho.

"As if there is no option" is a good way to teach ourselves to be self-discipline. I know I can never pass one because whenever I pass by that vending machine, I'm blinded by the scenery of so many choc bar. I will always end up buying eventhough I am not hungry.

That is how it works for girls. And how they ended up buying 99 pair of shoes.

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

phew~~~ so good to hearfrom u.. really think that u got mad at me...

anyway~~

LOL to the 99 pairs of shoe, though i still believe it's nothing to do with self-disciplined -- see I believed you ladies' excuses instead of stating it as an syndrome of loosing self-control, but now u, represent the rest of your tribe, made the confession now..

Huhu..thanx for dropping by. And please help me get some more girls to drop by. -- DUN LAUGH, SHUNZA!!

Spidey

Anonymous said...

when come to this Ramadhan Kareem, it have alway makes me thinking of a non-Muslim Malaysian who are also fasting with me back at the UTP...that was great moment laa.

anyway instead of setting phone alarm to wake u up. why dont u put a siren isntead? that wud be nice!

cheers
Syaiful

kama said...

dear EY,
lama sgt x singgah blog ko ni... sorry... busy lately :) tak sempat lg nak bace coretan2 ... ada masa aku comment lg yer...

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

Haha, Poon, those were the days.. kinda miss it... I see now u really scouting and stalking around the world of blog huh? What a change.. :>

Kama.. "TAU TAK PER~~".. heheh.. hey now ko dah ade blog ko sdr ker? Good good.. ko dh janji.. aku tunggu komen yg selanjutnyer... huhu

Spider

fariz said...

selamat berpuasa di atas kapal. i always want to be fasting sailor. i should have taken your offer to join you on board.

dikazzz said...

waaa....bagus2! puasa2 :) bagus untuk kesihatan luar dan dalam mengikut kajian ahli sains and also as written in the kitab ^_^

p/s put ur handset as far as u hate to walk to it :p ahahaha...

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

Bang!! Eh lame tak singgah nampak??!! Well, 'FASTING SAILOR' huh? Cool name dude!! tp aku dah start rindu nasi lemak nasi ayam roti canai nasi goreng kampung etc etc dah... huhu.. PASAR RAMADHAN, tunggu aku..

Ika, thanks for the support.. anyway last Ramadhan and lat last Ramadhan and last last last Ramadhan memang aku poso pun.. well.. saje nak test jarak handset yg paling jauh i could reach everytime I bangun utk sahur with both eye closed. Hehehe, kidding la!

Thank you all!

Spidey

Anonymous said...

i did mention that i like your life right?

:)

"Sometime we just need to bear with the situation that we're in, even though the situation is harsh and cruel."

very well put. i like (and read) all ur posts btw. its just whether i comment on it or not. hoho

p.s. if i ask u to take me away.. would u? HAHHHAAHHHAA

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

Yes you did, lacluster, you did mention you like me life, and I did wonder why is that and I still do.

Thank you for the nice words, really terharu beb.. aper? take you away? sure sure, jom lah..

Hahahaha...

Spider

ARWEN_my said...

Sorry Spidey.. have no time to drop by not even for my own blog. thank you anyway for accidentally read up my blog.. hehe.. really appreciate that. and now sumhow i didn't expect my coach En Hamdan knows my blog?!! Arghh!! abis ler gue.... xleh ngumpat bebudak opis lagi.. kuikuikui...

Well, Happy Ramadhan buddy. I knw it isn't as easy as we thot, but I am sure this Ramadhan will be sumthing meaningful to you aight?.. Biler mau balik ni. Nk kasi invitation card nih.. uhuhuhu..

p/s - Kalo lapo hang gigit jer stereng vessel tuh!! :)

savante said...

Great blog man! Eh, you're not muslim? Gues you're fasting with the rest of your colleagues then .... but I guess missing a day won't count.

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

Arwen_my, ingat ko dah standby utk dilivery dah as lame ko hilang from www world.. hehehe.. KAd Jemputan? aku balik ari Khamis kut.. tentatively, skrng mcm kene delay sket,.. still tak sure..

Savante, yes I do fast every ramadhan and this habit as been going for few years already.. Hey so u're a doktor? WOW I have a DOKTOR drop by my blog!! Went to yours, good blog, kinda love the witty laguage you use! Do drop by often!

Spider

Madam Robert said...

waahh~* pose atas kapal! kagum.. kagum..