Oct 13, 2007

Docking of a dream..

Watching the live telecast of Astro from International Space Station (ISS) answered one of my trillion questions regarding living in outer-space -- YES, we can take pictures in outer-space!!!

About 9 minutes before I saw crew in ISS snapping pictures using their compact digital camera and also digital SLRs while waiting for the hatch to be opened, and let their 3 new crew members walk into ISS from Soyuz TMA-11.

One of the new members who newly departed from planet Earth, is Dr Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor Al Masrie.

Soyuz TMA-11 and ISS docked just now, and now I believe the hatch now is the only door separated Dr Sheikh from fulfilling the dream, after blasted-off on 10.10.2007 on 21:21 hours, of living in outer-space.

(00:13hrs Malaysian time. Equalization of pressure between ISS and Soyuz TMA-11 is still going on. Hatch not yet opened.)

Back to the question regarding taking pictures under zero gravity circumstance, I believe digital camera helps. Not sure whether a camera with film can operate properly -- WHY BOTHER? you might have thought so. Just like some of my friends who don't bother to care enough of the programme, and so of them even complaint about this hundred-million-dollar project is actually a waste of money.

But -- --

(0021hrs Malaysian time. I heard a crew saying "WELCOME ON BOARD" -- the hatch has opened!)

-- --but, sorry to say, I was so hyped up on the day of blasting off, and I could feel my heart throbbing when the moment the rocket launched and blasted off from the Earth. I don't care the debate about the rationality of the Angkasawan program, I strongly believe most of us are excited about the program as I am, just because of one reason -- there's still a little kid living inside us.

What else could I say about sending a Malaysian Angkasawan to the outer-space? When I was asked about my ambition when I was 6, I drew a picture of an astronaut and pasted it on the wall in the living hall -- THIS is what I could say about sending a Malaysian Angkasawan to the outer-space.

It's about a dream of every boys, no matter how old he is, the boy is still inside his body, the "flying to the outer space" is still inside his dream.

(0033hrs. The hatch is fully opened. Dr Sheikh entered ISS.)

So to Sue and my baby sister Cheer, I don't blame you all for being cold-eyed to the program, because after all, except for Peggy Whitson and others women astronauts in history, wearing a bulky astronaut suit is something rather far away from being fashionable.

0041hrs.. "Selamat Hari Raya" from Dr Sheikh's father from Roscosmos to ISS....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey c'mon.. I spent my whole last nite reading the news bout it, ok!??!

Cheer

Suhana Sidik said...

Haha..
I am no longer into the excitement of watching a history in the making. Though, i love watching history that has been made. But, it doesn't make me any less Malaysian. I do check out the progress from time to time.

Well, i have been feeling terribly old lately (hence the 'i nak kahwin mode'). I don't go for concerts anymore, because i don't like crowded places. I just love.. spending some quality time to myself. Haha...

But, that day, I am a proud Malaysia. Tourist or not, i am still proud. Dr M... You are a genius... as usual

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

Cheer, you'd better buckle up!

Koncil.. no I was not refering u as a non-Malaysian for not participating a 'history in making'.. We both know how much discussion we had in term of being a true Malaysian..

No comment on the 'TAK NAK KAHWIN ' mode, but not going to concert is a normal thing for me, as I haven't gone to one. Does this make me an old man?

I dun think so.

Spider

-f-l-o- said...

I heard the buzz about the title assigned to Dr.Sheikh - that he was acknowledge as space participant rather than an astronaut. I don't care less. What makes they think that being trained for few months would make someone an astronaut.

Coming in as a doctor for a two months engineering program doesnt make u an engineer, does it?

It don't know what's the buzz but this is one step further than being just dreaming.

In our case, we as Malaysians, have got that dream.

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

..indeed.. this is one step further than being just dreaming..

last night I dreamt of getting my son to become an astronaut.. alamak!! hehehe

Spider

Anonymous said...

The dream of becoming a astronaut sounds so familiar to me.. My little brother has it too. :> I guess every boys had and are still having this dream..

U.K.H.

cleo weiland said...

I wonder what title he'll be getting..someone suggested Dato Seri Spacey. I totally agree haha :P