May 11, 2008

3 books.

There are 3 books that I really wish to share with my friends. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, Wolf Totem by Jiang-Rong, and A Thousand Splendid Suns by, again, Khaled Hosseini.

Hold on..

Disclaimer: If this post is finally published, that doesn't mean:
  1. that THESE are the ONLY BOOKS that I've read so far;
  2. that I'm going to open up a whole new genre of my blog content which will be introducing bookss.
OK now let's turn to 1st page 1st chapter...

1. How did/will I introduce these 3 books to my friends?
  • The Kite Runner: The 1st and only book so far, that almost made me cry;
  • Wolf Totem: The book that speaks out for me on how I see my backyard community. The book that explains why I'm called a maverick in my backyard. (Further reading: "Crowded, but silent..")
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns: The book that further confirmed my respect to Khaled Hosseini, and further deepened my understanding to Afghanistan, and Taliban.
2. Using not more than 5 elements, introduce the story of the books, please.
  • The Kite Runner: Racial discrimination. Friendship. Afghanistan. Islam.
  • Wolf Totem: Gengkhis Khan vs Confucious. Wolf vs Lamb. Great Chinese vs Cowardly Chinese.
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns: Afghan women. Afghan chauvinism. Despair. Hopes. Taliban.
3. How would I recommend you to read?
  • The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns:
If you're an English reader, here you go. Khaled Hosseini is an Afghan, but he writes in English.
If you're a Chinese reader, go and get a translated version of the book. Translation from Taiwan is much better than of China Mainland in my opinion. The Chinese translator obviously showing her lack of thorough study in Islamic cultural when she translate 'fasting' as 'not eating non-vege'.
If you're a Malay reader, .. we just need to wait for our local translation industry to grow..
  • Wolf Totem:
If you're a Chinese reader, then the original version of the book is there for you, you just have to be ready to be challenged, traditionally and self-value concern. Or else, just take it as a plain novel.
If you're an English reader, GOOD NEWS! An English version of the master-piece is (surprisingly) in the market. I found it in Times KLCC, on the 'Hot Of The Month' rack.
If you're a Malay reader, BAD NEWS.. I don't think the book is commercial enough to be translated unless it created controversy.
.......

3 books, 3 points. I think that's more than enough for me to do the publicity for the books, before I run out of point to shout.

No, I'm NOT going to say the slogan like "Jadikanlah amalan membaca budaya kita". No way. But there's a new catchy phrase which I think is cool enough to shout here:

"Lu pikiiiiiiiiiiir lah sendiri!"

Sekian terima kasih.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've read the first book, the kite runner from Khaled Hosseini..which this book was recommended by u..thanks to u aiman..i'm looking for the 2nd book now, a thousand splendid suns..

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

Hey emy.. glad to hear tat u're loving The Kite Runner.. go on read A Thousand Splendid Suns, u'll eventually love Khaled Hosseini..

I'm influencing ur angah to get Wolf Totem.. ang i think i almost there...

Hehe..

-f-l-o- said...

Eh Spidey, kita jumpa kat Europe nak. Bak itinerary sini, aku nak beli tiket nih.

Jalan lagiii...

Suhana Sidik said...

I just bought the book during book fest - kite runner, but haven't had the chance to read it yet. Hope it's a good read as per what you said. But you've always been accurate. Hehe...

Anonymous said...

there's sumthing about books that connect people together.i still have my collections piling up like Mt Kinabalu but since i have free cash certs for books..i'll go grab that kite runner..
oh yeah, luv the new phrase..hehe