Sep 27, 2008

A forbidden love: Siding Germany

"I hope my trip mates would understand, that this Europe trip for me,
is not only about sigh-seeing and then shopping,
but I don't want them to ask the question like "if not, then what?",
because I can't even give them an answer
-- like my insistence to visit Berlin,
I don't have an answer for what I insisted for..

in fact, I'm still trying to figure out that funny tingling inside me,
that hold my belief, telling me I just need to go to Berlin..

.... maybe it's nothing, it's just me.."

-- 10 August, 2008
Czech time: 0742 hrs; Germany time: 0742 hrs; Malaysia time: 1342 hrs
The train stopped at Usti nad Cabem, heading to Berlin


I left Prague and headed to Berlin, Germany, 6 in the morning and all alone.

And later I was made to understand that, my decision and my move caused some consequences that I just have to bear, until today...

..because my decision to travel alone, was forbidden...

***********************************************************

'No man zone' refers to the zone between East Berlin and West Berlin. It was called 'No man zone', because no man can actualy exist there..

...because only dead body will exist there.

Entering 'No man zone' was forbidden.

*******************************************************

No one loves to be left behind. That's what they told me, so you don't leave your comrades behind, don't leave your friends behind, don't leave your family behind.

What about dream? I asked, feeling that I might be a little bit of selfish, hearing her voice in my head, "meet me on the other side, meet me on the other side.."

************************************************************

When I finaly came before the remnant of Berlin walls in East Side Gallery, I sighed.

How many longing souls used to put their hand on the east side of the wall and look up, hoping or even planning to get across it? And how many hopeful souls were shot dead in their attempt to get across the Berlin Wall and pass through to 'No man zone'?

Why did they do that?

**********************************************

"..Why do you do this?" She asked, the trrain just left Dresden Hbf, heading to Dresden-Neustadt. I was already in the realm of East German.

"... I mean, traveling alone.." She tried so hard to put it politely.. I understood what's her real question.

"..you mean, why did I leave my trip mates behind?"

She knodded. The train rumbled, and moving ahead.

****************************************************************

On August 23, 1961, the last border crossing open to West Berlin was closed.

Berlin wall separated families, friends, lovers, jobs, and cut off the daily life of East and West Berliners.

For East Berliner, getting into West Berlin, getting back to their families, their friends, their loved ones, their jobs and their life, had suddenly became a dream, a deadly dream.

****************************************************************

I smiled. I forgot her name, but she's the first German I met when I entered Germany. We shared a same cabin, on the day train from Praque to Berlin.

"... when you started getting comfortable -- too comfortable with your current situation, you just need to get away from there.." I was not sure she'd understand.

"indeed.. dreams always lie beyond comfortable zone." She mumbled, not looking at me, as if she was talking to her own.

I was stunned.

*******************************************************************

Dreams always lie beyond comfortable zone. How sad. And that's why there comes the word 'forbidden', I guess.

Living a life that I want, loving someone that I love, doing things that I wish for, going places that I care, etc etc -- it could end up like climbing Berlin Wall -- I could be shot dead in the 'No man zone', before I eventually reach my dream land.

Because dreams always lie beyond the comfortable zone; and getting away from comfortable zone, is forbidden, because someone out there will feel uncomfortable about the idea.

Sad enough, no?


ps..: I-dun-know-what-kind-of-detail-do-u-want detail:

1. Train Praque to Berlin: CZK 1235.00, Take off from Prague at every 2 hours, start from 6:36am. About 5 hours ride.

2. Train Berlin to Frankfurt: 100 euro!! 6 hours ride.

3. East Side Gallery was constructed along Muhlenstrate. 118 artists from 21 countries painted here in 1990 to celebrate the falling of Berlin Wall. East Side Gallery is the longest remaining portion of Berlin Wall, i.e. 1.3 km long.

4. Accomodation: Berlin: Wombat Berlin (Go Wombat, GO!); Frankfurt: Haus de Jugend / House of Youth -- a youth hotel under Hoteling International (H.I.) organisation. Clean and nice place, but far away from public transportation.

5. Berlin's museums are world class, if you have no problem visiting museum, grab a subject you want to know about Germany/ Berlin, then study them from museum! Recommed: Pergamonmuseum, Berlin.

6. You should pay Sony Centre a visit when you're in Berlin.

7. There're free guide tours happen all around in Berlin. I would highly recomend New Berlin Tours, have a look at their schedule and plan your tour -- it's way insightful and informative if you have their vast knowledge and engaging personalities explain the history of Berlin. ..and don't be stingy when come to give some tips to your helpful tour guide.

pss... "I spent all my Ramadhan blogging bout my tour! " Europe-Final-Say:

1. I'm sorry for blogging something really personal bout my entire journey in Europe, but while expecting I'd get lots of readers walked away from my blog, I surprisingly received new visitors dropping messages to me -- Thank you!!

2. Don't worry, no more europe posting after this -- at least for this year. And please don't think I traveled so much as if I am part of the team of Lonely Planet or Travel & Living TV Crew -- I mean, I wish to, but I'm not.. *wink wink* to Rean.

3. Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri and Maaf Zahir Batin to all my friends!!

20 comments:

kakkumei said...

hoh.
i seriously didn't know what to say.
hahaha!!
anyways, i loike reading about your travels.
it got some romantic feelings to it.
wakakkaka!

i refuse to wink back. XD

Anonymous said...

Austria is a post where i found u real sad, Czech i saw a happy you..

.. now in Berlin, i felt u kinda lonely...

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

Rean, 'got some ROMANTIC feelings' really make me blushing.. hehehe -- not intended to put it ROMATICALLY.. alamak...

*wink wink* *wink wink* :P

Shunza my sister, i wasn't sad throughout the whole journey -- it was just, something made me really thinking... hehehe..

anywa, I'm stil lthat LONESOME soul.. hehehe.. esp in this raya..

Anonymous said...

yep, whenever ur in the thinking mood, it'll look as if ur sad. but ur not really, its more like being sober,

for awhile.

:)

p.s. ye spidey, Regardless saye komen atau tidak, saye Bace post anda :)

Suhana Sidik said...

shunza is so right...

Anyway, you ARE romantically attached to the trip - your writing says it all. Made us all wonder how romantically involved you will be when you found that special someone.

Will the first month be about JUST HER? Hehehe

Unknown said...

im not complaining about u writing ur euro trip in the blog! guess many of us would agree to that!

yeah. totally agree with koncil. u were so attached to the trip! maybe the way u wrote all the entries :)

i'm tagging urs as well!!

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

Lackluster - Me look sad when thinking?? AS IF u pernah tengok how i fell in deep thought... hahaha.. I guess the experience in ULAM have either made u become more imaginative, or perhaps made u more FAMILIAR with ur fellow panelist.. hehehe..

Sue -- JUST HER? who? Hehehe..

Sarah -- i think people just got all the sentiments when they fell in love with something, someone, or some journey... thanks for coming back here..


aiman

Jannah said...

Hey you. This post made ME sad.

You know you could never be lonely when you have many friends around cheering you on?
Happy raya!

Yus.MY said...

aiman..cudn't agree more with sue..there's something about this trip..every country got it's story version aiman..i just love it!

anyway..selamat hari raya bro!

harni said...

i walked away from this page since i saw no update on your damn-i-envy-trip. but i came back to catch up with you. n i wud love to continue doing so. hope to see more on ur trip okay!

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

Jannah and Kak Yus, and the rest -- fair enough, maybe i unintentionally put in some blues into this post and made u GIRLS agree to each other, one after one.. *sigh*..

Harni.. i think i'd have to disappoint u -- the Germany post was the final post about my trip in Europe.. till the next trip again, the rest of my blog post would be back to something close to my landyard.. tp tak konfirm dier tak jiwng lah (hey blog ko lagi lah jiwang -- tengok header pun dah bulh pengsan..)

aiman

hamlet said...

interesting, terrific, extravagan are all i can say. ur trip was such an unordinary one.

ur word are beautifully structured. impressive from someone that i know love to work hard. ;)

Anonymous said...

Honestly I'm jealous with your experience in Europe after reading all your writing regarding the trip....next time don't left your friend behind k......

Anonymous said...

I hope the trip have made u grown up and become a better person -- I've been following ur stories on ur road, it's moving but I think those were just a very tiny part of all..

keep on discovering urself.. keep on learning..

harni said...

huh.ampes.takpe after this aku cite pasal trip aku plak.huhu..

yela2.. nnt aku edit skit header tuh.. kasi can je la..

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

Devil.. thanks for ur kind words.. and this sentence "..ur word are beautifully structured. impressive from someone that i know love to work hard... " really made me wanted to know WHO ARE U actually...

ramainyer secret know-all-bout-me stranger skrng!!!

Coco, definitely aku akan join dgn ko utk berjalan2 kt India nnt.. God willing!

BTW, ko nyer Cambodia trip pun not bad what..

U.K.H., thanks for letting me know that u are actually following the stories all these while.. and u're right, the stories shared here is just some tiny portions of all.. there's too much to share but it's just unspeakable.. well, sentimental is always something abstract, right? ;P

Harni, nothing wrong with the header lah actualy. Saje nk kecoh.. and yeah, please tell us ur story bout ur trip.. and pictures that WILL BE taken by my Nick'a Devil.. hehehe..

aiman

aaina said...

heaven!:)
always 've da tingting goes on me aswell.someday hopefully.
still dreaming in tanah melayu.
haha. *random*

p/s:btw sorry fer visiting here x invition.*gulp*

dikazzz said...

"i think people just got all the sentiments when they fell in love with something, someone, or some journey..." I'm totally agreed thou! seriously! ^_^ but less who able to understand this kind of love sentiments...

Anonymous said...

my fav part from this post

"No one loves to be left behind. That's what they told me, so you don't leave your comrades behind, don't leave your friends behind, don't leave your family behind."

nice pics btw!! :)

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!