May 13, 2006

Cold mountain


I was awake before the fog clouded over Danau Batur.

It was 5 in the morning. Yahya the Made, Azwa the Wayan and Fiza the Ketut were still sleeping, hugging tight the sweet dream they were having and slidding their tired body deeper into the warm blanket..

5:00 a.m. was freezing -- the temperature of Danau Batur area IS already chilling. I din put on any sweater, for some unknown reasons. Staying frozen in the highland of Bali could be some kind of cool experience, maybe.

I was waiting for a spectacular sunrise, which I was not so sure about. Gunung Batur and Gunung Abang were in front of me, guarding the crater lake, Danau Batur, which was formed after eruption of volcano. It is hard to imagine how a volcano eruption could happen in such a beatiful, peaceful, quiet place.

I believe Danau Batur, or Lake Batur, must be a kind of compensation given by Gods, as an apology after all the catastrophic eruptions happened on this land.

Don't tease me for being sentimental, you must come here and see it, or maybe, feel the gentle but sorry touch of Gods. (..but, 5:00 a.m. ..,ok?)

The fog started to cloud over when it was about 6:30 a.m. Danau Batur was fully covered by a blanket of soft white cloud. Mt Batur laid back into the darkness of the sky, but not Mt Abang. The outline of Mt Abang could be clearly seen, even the silhouette of the trees on the mountain was clear against the sunrise.

But it was freezing still. Sun lights did not penetrate the mountain, neither the warmth.. and out of a sudden, I thought of Cold Mountain, and the opening line of the movie, voice of Nicole Kidman just touched my heart..:

"Dear Mr. Inman, I began by counting the days, then the months. I don't count on anything anymore except the hope that you will return, and the silent fear that in the years since we saw each other, this war, this awful war, will have changed us both beyond all reckoning. "

As touching as the story, some warm-hearted feeling and some appreciation seeped into my heart. I know I've been sentimental in this post, that happened when some precious memory slipped in, about the journey in Bali, about the journey in life.

11 comments:

Suhana Sidik said...

Best experience by far huh. The pic were superb, especially of the sun slowly rising. Damn it. Now, I really really wish I could have followed you guys. This is just superb.. marvellous wonder. I definitely am going to Bali soon.

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

M actually quite proud of myself for three reasons: 1. managed to drive to Danau Batur!!!(phewitt, to all my tour-mates, round applause!!) .. 2. managed to wake up 5 in the morning.. .. and 3. ..managed to capture those wonderful pictures.. hehehe.. though i was using Azwa's panasonic Lumix.. which surprisingly gave me great pictures.. totally beyond my expectation!!

Anonymous said...

You look so sentimental, even in the posted picture...caya lah! One thing I never forget during the Mount Batur Trip, Wong was waking us up violently, just to ask for the camera, and I thought that the vulcano is erupting. Damn Wong...!

chivv said...

lawa siakkkk!!!!!

cantiknya gambar...

and yes...spidey's a bit sentimental here ^_^

Anonymous said...

This guy is oredi sentimental when he was still in his mother's body.. what u all see here is just 1/10000 of it. ...

... .. wanna see him cry? muahahaha!!!


U.K.H.

Anonymous said...

This guy is oredi sentimental when he was still in his mother's body.. what u all see here is just 1/10000 of it. ...

... .. wanna see him cry? muahahaha!!!


U.K.H.

SpidEy d'lEfty said...

thnakz Juz.b.hiccup .. not really know who u are, but.. thanks for ur kind words.. u know, it is such a touching feeling when someone tells u to 'take more pictures next trip, ya..' and 'am anticipating...' for my next adventure..

...erm..kinda feeling.. i felt like a mum asks her boy to 'study hard in the school, ya..' ...

hehe..

Thankz again. :>

e-what said...

oits... aku tau aku slalu bz... tapi seriously siutt aaa tak ajak aku gi bali.... huhuhu

tapi gambor ngko duduk tu aku bagi 10/10

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»